March (5 months)
Full for 2020
Available for 2021!
Project Europe is the perfect option for volunteers looking to blend travelling and independence. Challenge yourself with hands-on projects in different countries with amazing travel opportunities in between. Project Europe combines short volunteering programs with travel. Each volunteering project will last between two and four weeks each and these will be in four different European countries.
With travel weeks built into the program, you have plenty of opportunities to explore more of Europe on your own or with your placement team. Nearby countries such as Czech Republic, Hungary, Spain, Netherlands, Italy are all at your fingertips! Lattitude Staff will be on hand to help you with any travel arrangements you might want to make, or suggest a new adventure. You can really see a lot in the time provided!
You’ll undertake a variety of different community projects during your time on the project. Working in four different countries, you’ll be supporting local community projects. These projects may be environmental or renovation projects or you may be working with kids or the elderly. There are also opportunities to contribute to community arts programs or helping to run a festival.
Environmental Placements provide a true immersion in nature during the day! Discover the beautiful European countryside and discover the culture of the locals in the evenings. Your work may involve walking in mountains every day to reach the site of the camp. By maintaining trails and vegetation, you’ll not only be learning about the environment, you’ll be helping others to enjoy the beauty of nature too!
Community Placements will have you using your creative skills to assist in community centres that provide services such as educational courses, social help and cultural or sporting events. Volunteer tasks include a mix of organisation of activities for children (games, sports, or DIY workshops) and the organisation of a final exhibition.
Construction Placements have youworking to renew playgrounds or renovate community areas. By installing new equipment and repairing existing structures, you’ll be bringing life back to a community in need.
Events Placements have youworking to assist with aspects of event or festival logistics. Typical tasks include assembling and dismantling of structures, building and putting up the decorations and transport and unloading of material.
What will I learn?
- Social and personal skills such as Team working, independence, relationship building, leadership and confidence in interacting with a range of different people
- Practical skills working on different hands-on projects
- Gain experience of different cultures in Europe and opportunity to live in a variety of places, experience how people live, what they eat, learn a little of many different languages
- Meet young people from different countries and work alongside them
- Independent travel but organised with the support from Lattitude and your fellow participants
Food & Accommodation
Accommodation will vary on different projects, and will include hostels, host families (in Poland and Spain) and accommodation provided by our community centre hosts (in the UK and Germany.)
Before you go:
- We find out more about each volunteer through an interview which helps us select the right people and after a second interview, we match them to a placement that’s right for them.
- Once selected, each volunteer is allocated a Coordinator in the New Zealand office who assists them with all preparations. They provide briefing materials, support with logistics such as flights and visas and are there to answer any questions.
- Volunteer are briefed in person or in an online session to prepare them for their placement ahead.
- Volunteers complete their own Learning and Development Plan which helps to identify goals and personal skills they would like to develop, and these areas of development are followed up throughout their time away.
- All volunteers sign our Code of Conduct to ensure that our expectations of each volunteer are agreed and clear from the outset.
When you’re overseas:
- Our Country Managers in Poland and the UK will oversee the program and you will be supported by a Project Leader at each individual project. As this is a team program, the aim is that there will be a lot of peer support, so that volunteers will work together, travel together and support each other throughout
- We work with Embassies and High Commissions to ensure we can respond to any situation and provide 24/7 emergency support from your destination country and also back here in New Zealand.
- You will attend an orientation when you first arrive in Poland, attend a mid-project review and also a debrief at the end.
- Attend a mid-project review and also a debrief at the end.
When you’re back:
- We recognise that coming home can be difficult and provide one-to-one support, with onward referrals for further professional support if needed. Volunteers are invited to debriefing events and become part of our network of alumni.
Lattitude Application Fee – $150
The application fee covers the cost of processing applications and conducting interviews.
Whenever possible, we like to travel to your area to interview you in person, but if not possible, video conferencing using Skype is an alternative.
All applicants are guaranteed an interview. This fee is non-refundable.
Lattitude Placement Fee – $4500
The Lattitude placement fee covers your preparation & support prior to departure as well as in-country support whilst on placement. This is payable in two installments:
Upon acceptance to the Lattitude programme, a non-refundable $1000 deposit is payable within 7-10 days.
The balance of your Lattitude fee is payable 40 days prior to departure.
• In depth matching process to align your skills and interests with a placement that really suits you
• Assigned Volunteer Coordinator to help with all your pre-departure advice and guidance
• Links with returned volunteers
• Advice on obtaining police checks
• Advice on obtaining a Visa
• Pre-departure briefing seminar
• Airport pickup on arrival
• Accommodation for the duration of stay (either with a host family or on placement site)
• Food provided by host (may not include every meal, but you will know what to expect before your arrival)
• Day to day support from your placement host and a member of staff as your mentor
• 24/7 support from Lattitude, including in-country support from local reps and the Lattitude Country Manager
• Focus on your personal volunteer learning and development
• Returned Volunteer follow up and Debrief Event
• Opportunity to join the Lattitude Alumni Association
• Certificate of completion and references (on request)
What’s not included:
In addition to the Lattitude fees above, volunteers will be required to pay for their own international flights, travel insurance and any visa costs. Lattitude staff will assist you in making these arrangements.
• International Flights
• Travel Insurance
• GP medical clearance
• Travel doctor consultation (mandatory)
• Vaccinations (if applicable)
• Onward travel to placement (if applicable)
• Pocket Money for weekends/ holidays/post-placement travel
• Accommodation and food during holiday periods
As a charity we always recommend our volunteers to fundraise to help meet the costs involved in volunteering overseas. In many ways it is part of the whole experience. For more information and fundraising ideas please click here.
The Program starts in Poland, finishes in Spain, and is overseen by our Country Manager in Poland.
The programme starts in March and finish in July. This may change or a second group may also depart later in the year depending on the numbers signing up for the project.
|5 MONTH PROGRAM : POLAND, GERMANY, UK & SPAIN|
|1||Arrival into Poland for 1 week orientation|
|2-5||Project 1: Placement in Poland (1 month)|
|7-8||Project 2: Germany (2 weeks)|
|10-11||Project 3: United Kingdom (2 weeks)|
|12||Mid Placement Review (3 days)|
|14-15||Project 4: Spain (2 weeks)|
|16-17||Project 5: Social Action Project Spain (2/3 weeks)|
|18||Celebration and debrief Week|
|19||Optional add on travel or language immersion|
Placement Availability – 2020
Swipe left/right for more information
|Project Europe||5 Months||March 2020||FULL|
Placement Availability – 2021
Swipe left/right for more information
|Project Europe||5 Months||March 2021||Available|